Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is basic. You can add carrots and other veggies and herbs to your taste. This is basic, but delicious!
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 8 -10 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- water (just enough to cover potatoes)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon summer savory (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- To make soup: boil celery in the water until just tender, DO NOT DRAIN.
- Add all ingredients and cover with remaining water"just enough" to cover veggies.
- Boil on medium high till tender, (approximately 10 minutes).
- Mash slightly to eliminate chunks.
- Add milk and set aside.
- To make dumplings, sift together dry ingredients.
- Stir in herbs.
- Beat egg and milk together and add to dry ingredients.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Then combine: Bring soup back to burner, bring to a boil; turn burner on low.
- Drop dumplings by tablespoonful into liquid.
- Cover tightly and simmer gently for 20-minutes--do not lift lid.
Easy to make and really delicious! I did add a little dill weed and little fried chopped bacon. I served it with cheddar cornmeal muffins.