Creamy Low-Fat Potato Soup
I have two potatoes listed you may add in more if desired, also you may omit the cayenne pepper.
- Ready In:
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 2 -4 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder (or to taste)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-fat chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk, divided (can use fat-free half and half)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- salt (to taste) (optional)
- In a saucepan combine the cubed potatoes with onion, celery, cayenne, garlic powder and bouillon powder and chicken broth (start with 2 teaspoon bouillon powder) bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until veggies are tender (at this point you may add in more bouillon powder if desired).
- In a small bowl whisk together 1/4 cup evaporated milk with 3 tablespoons cornstarch until smooth; stir into the simmering broth mixing constantly.
- Add in the remaining evaporated milk; bring back to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3-5 minutes or until bubbly and thickened.
- Remove from heat season with black pepper and salt if desired, then stir in the shredded cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Hubby really enjoyed this. I used about 2 cups of potatoes (1 large potato), 1/8 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp bouillon powder (trying to lower sodium content) & left out the celery. It only took 10 min of simmering time to get the taters tender. When I added the cornstarch mix (used fat free half & half), the soup thickened up QUICK! So I added the rest of the liquid. I used about 1/4 cup less half & half than called for by accident, but it worked fine! We actually didn't stir in the cheese; offered it as an optional topping--but hubby used some croutons instead. Thanks so much for sharing--it was rich, creamy & a great recipe.1Reply
see 14 more