Recipe by Scoutie78
The combination of jerk flavourings with creamy pasta seems strange, but it's actually delicious! You can adjust the amount of spice to suit your taste. It is very quick to prepare.
- 175 g dried spaghetti or 175 g linguine
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium
- 1⁄4 cup 35% cream
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons bottled jerk sauce (Or jerk marinade or seasoning -- I like Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning and PC 'memories' jerk marinade, )
- 1⁄2 cup frozen sweet peas
- 2 cups raw spinach, washed and trimmed
- 1⁄8 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta in lots of salted water.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce:.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- Sprinkle the chicken cubes with salt and pepper, then saute them in the oil until browned on the outside. Take the pan off the heat and remove the chicken. Don't worry if it is not cooked all the way through.
- Add 1 Tbsp to the pan and turn the heat to med-low.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 sec -- do not allow it to brown.
- Add the chicken broth, the cream cheese, the cream and the jerk sauce. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until the cream cheese melts and the sauce thickens slightly. Taste, and add more jerk sauce if you want more spice.
- Add the chicken, and simmer for 1 more minute, until all chicken is cooked through.
- Add spinach and frozen peas, and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until peas are warm.
- By now the pasta should be cooked. Do not drain the pasta. Rather, use tongs to remove it from the water and put it, still dripping, into the sauce. (The drips of pasta water are starchy and help thicken the sauce.).
- Turn off the heat under the sauce.
- Toss, adding salt and pepper to taste. If using parmesan, add it now, and toss.