Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I invented this recipe because I was unsatisfied by the egg crock pot versions of the same. I use fat free milk and half and half and reduced fat parmesan cheese and it's still just as good!
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Sauté onion and pressed garlic in 1 T butter.
- Shake 3 T flour with some of the milk in a shaker so it isn't lumpy.
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot and stir well.
- Cook 4 hours on high, stirring hourly so the flour thickens the sauce evenly.
I had my doubts about the macaroni cooking in the crockpot rather than doing it separately - but it did, and perfectly. However, there really needed to be more sauce, I thought. Mine cooked far faster than the four hours (more like 2 1/2) and it was extremely dry. I did add more milk to it to try to make it a little creamier, but that made it just as dry and ruined the texture to gritty. I think it I try this again (there are other mac n cheese recipes I want to try first) I will try doubling the amount of milk from the beginning and see if that helps.
My family loved this! It cooked faster than I anticipated. My husband who is not a mac and cheese lover asked me to make it again. Thanks for the recipe Vonteity!