Creamy Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese
Yummy!! Free up your oven and cook this classic dish in your crock pot! I made this is my taller older, 4 qt. crock pot rather than my new larger oval shaped one that tends to run hot. This could also be baked in the oven if necessary.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 45mins
- 1 lb macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use combination of freshly shredded medium cheddar and extra sharp cheddar)
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder (optional)
- Cook macaroni 4-6 minutes, keeping macaroni very al dente. Drain. Toss hot pasta with butter.
- In a greased crock pot, add cheese, soup, milk, sour cream, eggs, salt, pepper and mustard powder. Mix to combine.
- Add pasta to crock pot. Stir to combine well.
- Cook on low 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. (Careful because when I cooked mine 30 min too long, it started to become grainy!).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
First time I made Mac and Cheese in a crock pot. I don't like the canned cheddar flavor so I used velveta and an extra can of condensed milk instead. Nice creamy recipe although I am curious how it cooks if you don't stir it bc that is kind of the point of a crockpot meal - throw it in and leave it alone. That is the only reason I am giving this delicious repicpe a midle rating... not exactly a recipe I would consider a crockpot meal due to stirring every 30 minutes.Replies 1
I made this for a work tailgating party and it was a big hit. I omitted the eggs and dry mustard. I would have also added some whole milk or nixed the evaporated milk altogether and added whole milk to make it creamier. It was very good, I will probably make it again and make some adjustments. It seems like I had to adjust the cooking time a little bit.Reply
I have tried many crockpot mac n cheese recipes and this one is by far the best. It is cheesy, creamy, and fantastic! I did not add the optional egg, and I use a little extra cheese (family preference). Depending on how long I'm cooking it, I'll sometimes add a little milk to keep it creamy. I use my crockpot(s) several times a week, and this is a weekend staple for us. Football Sunday we always have guests over, and this is great to have on hand for the kids.Reply
Lovely meal KPD...nice and creamy texture which is hard to do in a crockpot most times. I did find that we did not care for the some of the flavor of the cheese and I'm thinking since the only thing different than a normal mac & cheese was the cheese soup mix. We could not pinpoint exactly what it was about it though. Loved how I did not have to turn on an oven and that it does not take all day to cook either! Perfect for a busy family night. Made for one of the games in Cooking Games with Friend forum.Reply