Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my grandmothers recipe. Everyone asks me to bring it for pot lucks. The trick was always the pickle juice. If you dont care for one of the vegetables just omit it and top up with another. This will serve 8 as a side salad.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, grated
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 small onions, finely chopped or 3 green onions
- 2 radishes, very finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, very finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle juice (bread and butter or gherkin)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- salt and pepper
- Chop and mix all veggies in a medium size bowl.
- Prepare dressing and stir into slaw.
- Season to taste.
- Best if left to sit overnight so juices drain into dressing but is still good the first day.
i was surprised how well this recipe went over with the family. the men in my family usually like a bite to their slaw hence i usually add some horseradish. well the females in my family are partial to a sweeter slaw. so when i saw the ingredients for this recipe i thought i would try it. an lo and behold my brothers even praised the taste; adding the pickle juice was just right to please all. i had served this with stuffed shells and green beans and my family (i think there was 17 of us there) said it was a great meal.
Thanks for sharing this family recipe. I had my family over for Thanksgiving and wanted a different tasting coleslaw. Everyone just loved this coleslaw. I believe the pickle juice is the secret ingredient. A wonderful new addition to my cookbook.
I made this for a family barbecue and everyone loved it. Very easy too!