Recipe by carolinajen4
I had to write this down fast before I forgot how I came up with this. I got a tip from a can of refried beans to use it as a base for soups. I love tortilla soup but it can sometimes be loaded in calories. Using refried beans not only thickens the soup, but saves calories on any added cheese or tortillas used to do the same. Taking a few cans out of the pantry makes very quick, easy, and delicious soup. Check out my vegetarian version which is just as yummy. A great way to use up the crushed up tortilla chips at the bottom of the bag.
Top Review by amygo74
Great tortilla soup recipe. I substitute a can of white meat chicken to make it even simpler and delete the cilantro. I also use the garlic infused chicken broth and jalapeno refried beans. It is delicious, my family loves it!!
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans, non-fat
- 1⁄2 cup corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded (can use more or less)
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- corn tortilla strips or chips
- shredded monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tomatoes, broth, beans and corn in medium saucepan.
- Stir together and bring to a boil.
- Reduce and bring to a simmer, add chicken and heat through.
- Turn off heat and stir in cilantro.
- Top each bowl of soup with cheese and crushed tortilla chips.