Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
I most always add in fresh sauteed mushrooms when I make this, you can also add in a can of cream of mushroom soup, I have done that many times, and the wine can be reduced if desired. This is a wonderful chicken stew!
- 1360.77-1814.36 g chicken pieces
- seasoning salt (can use regular salt)
- 29.58 ml oil (more if needed)
- 29.58 ml butter
- 907.18 g potatoes, peeled and cut into about 1-inch cubes
- 2 large onions, halved then sliced
- 29.58 ml minced fresh garlic
- 4.92-9.85 ml dried thyme (or use 1-2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped)
- 4.92 ml crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 59.16 ml flour
- 828.06 ml chicken broth
- 177.44 ml water (in place of the water just use the juice from the canned corn)
- 177.44 ml dry white wine (or use 1-1/2 cups wine)
- 2 (793.78 g) can canned corn niblets (drain or use juice in place of water)
- 4-6 large carrots, peeled and coarsley chopped
- salt and pepper
- 118.29 ml whipping cream
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil with butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
- Brown the chicken on all sides (about 8 minutes per side) then transfer to a large bowl.
- To the same pot add in onion, garlic, red pepper flakes (if using) and thyme; saute stirring occasionally for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in flour and cook, stirring 1 minute.
- Whisk in broth, water and wine; bring to a boil, whisking continuously.
- Add in potatoes, carrots and corn; mix to combine, cover with lid and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the whipping cream and Parmesan cheese (if using); mix to combine, then add in the browned chicken back to the pot along with any juices from the bowl, season with salt and pepper; cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the veggies are tender (about 25-50 minutes, or longer).
what a comforting stew!! I did add the mushrooms and the soup. I also added celery, peas some fresh parsley and a pinch of nutmeg. But if i didn't have those ingredients I am sure it would be great !! thank you so much for sharing that recipe Kittencal! It really hit the spot on a cold rainy day!
Wonderful! I used the corn juice instead of water and extra wine as suggested, and used the optional parmesan but not the pepper flakes. I really loved the garlic and thyme flavor combination. Served over wide noodles, this was rich and delicious comfort food!