Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
From Betty Crocker -- Slow Cooker recipes. NOTE: Posted as written, however, I cook the rice separately usually the night before if it is a work day, refrigerate the rice and then add it during the last 15-20 minutes to avoid mushy rice!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces (5 thighs)
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped (fresh or frozen is fine)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of potato soup
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups frozen sliced carrots
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Place chicken in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. In large bowl, mix wild rice, onions, soup, broth and carrots; pour over chicken.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.
- Stir in half-and-half. Increase heat setting to High.
- Cover; cook 15 to 30 minutes longer or until hot.
Not much of a "soup" eater, I was looking for a soup recipe like Panera breads. Found it! The whole family really liked this soup. I tweeked the recipe just a little.. I used 8 chicken thighs instead of 5. I sauteed the onion in butter with the chicken. I used 2 cans of broth instead of one and used 1 can of cream of celery because I only had one can of cream of potato on hand. I also used the seasoning packet that came with the box of wild rice. Since I have picky eaters, I took shredded carrots and put them in the food processor until they were tiny pieces. Turned out great!
I love soup & this is one is perfect for those long winter nights. I did use 1 can cream of potato soup & 1 can of cream of chicken. Made for Everyday is a Holiday Tag
What a hearty chicken soup! I used boneless chicken breast, raw carrots and added a lot more chicken broth; although this was still very thick - I think its because I cooked the rice in the crock instead of adding it at the end. Cooking the rice throughout made my soup a much darker color too - tasted great, just didn't look how I thought it would. Served with recipe#391992