Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yet another comfort food recipe! Freezes really well. Left over veg use up!
- 2 -3 chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups bacon, off cuts from the butcher (thick cut bacon pieces, we had some to use up) (optional)
- 2 pints vegetable broth
- 2 -3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and sliced diced, whatever you like
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup double cream
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- peas, if you like them (I don't, but I put them in for company)
- Fry bacon till lightly browned and crispy-drain on a paper towel.
- Boil the chicken breasts in the veggie broth until done, pull out chicken and shred into big, comforting pieces when it's cool enough so it doesn't burn your fingers.
- Veggies (except the peas) in the broth boil until soft. Doesn't matter how you cut them up, you're about to obliterate them anyway. Do not drain. (This works with any root veg. i.e. turnip, parsnip, sweet potato, butternut squash).
- Put in the 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and then use a hand blender to blend until smooth or dump into your stand up blender and whizz away.
- Veggie mixture back in the pot, stir in cream.
- Add chicken and bacon (optional) to the pot, add peas, simmer for a bit and serve.