If you've been looking for a different taste option for a chicken pot-pie type of meal, here's the recipe! This recipe comes from my Grandmother, who has been taking this one to potlucks and reunions ongoing! Always a crowd-pleaser.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Spray bottom and sides of 11x9" baking dish with Pam.
- Heat butter in a skillet till melted, Saute chopped onion till tender.
- Combine onion, chicken, soup, sour cream, milk and pimento in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle baked layer with 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Arrange biscuits in single layer on top.
- Sprinkle biscuits with remaining cheddar.
- Bake until biscuits turn golden brown and the sauce is bubbly (about 20 minutes longer).
- Serve immediately.
My husband & I liked this recipe very much. I did change a couple of the ingredients. I used gruyere instead of the cheddar,Because I was out of.I used 1/2 chicken broth instead of the milk,and left out the pimiento because I don't like them.I think I will use red peppers the next time I made the recipe. Thanks to you and your grandmother for the recipe!:>)
This was an excellent easy dish to make. I substituted frozen green peas for the pimientos because I don't care for them. Also added a little Land of Enchantment Spice Mix which was given to me by PaulaG for just a little extra flavor. But other than that I didn't change a thing. I used Healthy Substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup for the cream of chicken soup which was very nice. Thanks Fauve for another great one.
I am rating this lower than others because it turned out a little drier than I expected. I did use a 9x13 pan which may have been part of issue. The gravy was very thick and the texture of the dish reminded me of tuna noodle casserole. If I made this again, I would use the recommended pan and add more liquid. I expected the dish to have a thinner consistency like chicken pot pie.