Recipe by ElaineAnn
This is different from the other cabbage soups posted.
Top Review by Domestic Goddess
Not only is this soup delicious, but it's comfort food at it's best; especially if your feeling a bit under the weather. I had all the ingredients on hand, and couldn't wait to make this soup. I did use 4 cups of already shredded red & green cabbage and carrots, which comes in a 14-oz bag. I also added a 3/4 cup diced onion, 3 small cloves garlic, and since there was salt in the ham, I didn't season the soup with any additional salt, nor any pepper. When it came to making the roux, I did it in a separate pan, and I used 4 tablespoons of butter, and 4 tablespoons of flour, and then I gradually (but quickly) added as much broth as I could from the big pot of soup to the roux. When the roux was well mixed, and had slightly thickened, I added all of it back to the large pot of soup. Even though there wasn't much seasoning added to the soup, I found the ham and the salt in the ham, gave this soup lots of flavor. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this soup, but I also think you could add a 15 ounce can of small white beans (drained & rinsed) to the soup. I plan on making this soup again, as this recipe is definitely a keeper!
- 1 medium cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups ham, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, saute onions and garlic until softened.
- Add cabbage, potatoes, ham and paprika.
- Pour in chicken broth, and add a little water if needed to cover ham and vegetables.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain, reserving liquid. Set aside cabbage, potatoes and ham in a bowl.
- With the butter and flour make a roux in your stockpot or Dutch oven. Slowly add reserved liquid, stirring constantly over medium heat until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the cooked vegetables and meat and simmer a few minutes to heat through.