Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from my college roommate who had gotten it from her mom. It's absolutely delicious and nutritious!
- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions
- 3 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1 cup carrot (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken)
- 3 cups water
- Soak beans until doubled (into 4c.).
- Saute onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in oil until tender.
- Add water and broth, boil for 2 minutes.
- Add beans and spices, simmer until beans are tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Puree 2/3 of soup in blender or food processor, then combine with remaining soup to serve.