Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in my Immersion Blender manual. It is a great first course. Listed to serve ten if only half cup servings are used, as would be for a first course. If using as a main course adjust servings appropriately.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 ounces shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 -2 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh asparagus, tough ends removed and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 6 ounces red potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup vermouth
- 3 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add shallots and crushed garlic and saute over medium low heat for about 5 minutes. Do not allow to brown.
- When shallots are soft, add asparagus, reserving the tips for garnish, and potato to saucepan and cook for about 6 minutes, until the asparagus is bright in color.
- Add wine. Raise the heat to bring the wine to a boil. Reduce the wine until a scant tablespoon remains.
- Add chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- While simmering, blanch asparagus tips and dry.
- Use immersion blender, or transfer to blender/food processor and blend 30 to 45 seconds.
- Return to pot if necessary.
- Add salt, pepper and basil.
- Stir in cream.
- Serve soup hot, garnished with reserved asparagus tips.
We loved this soup and so did our kids. Recipe was easy to follow. We did not have shallots so used some onion instead.
Loved this, and so did all my BFF's. I made this twice in one week, really easy!!!!
The soup was a bit too thick so I had to add more cream (half and half). The taste is amazing. And it's so creamy. My first time doing asparagus soup that tastes like in restaurants :) I did half of it cause I only had 1 lb asparagus. I used dry white wine. Thanks Kellymac :) Made for PRMR tag game