1/2 Photos of Creamy Asparagus Soup
I found this recipe in my Immersion Blender manual. It is a great first course. Listed to serve ten if only half cup servings are used, as would be for a first course. If using as a main course adjust servings appropriately.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 ounces shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 -2 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh asparagus, tough ends removed and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 6 ounces red potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup vermouth
- 3 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium low heat.
- 2Add shallots and crushed garlic and saute over medium low heat for about 5 minutes. Do not allow to brown.
- 3When shallots are soft, add asparagus, reserving the tips for garnish, and potato to saucepan and cook for about 6 minutes, until the asparagus is bright in color.
- 4Add wine. Raise the heat to bring the wine to a boil. Reduce the wine until a scant tablespoon remains.
- 5Add chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- 6Simmer for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- 7While simmering, blanch asparagus tips and dry.
- 8Use immersion blender, or transfer to blender/food processor and blend 30 to 45 seconds.
- 9Return to pot if necessary.
- 10Add salt, pepper and basil.
- 11Stir in cream.
- 12Serve soup hot, garnished with reserved asparagus tips.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Asparagus Soup
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.0
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 19.3 mg
- Sodium 324.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 4.8 g