Recipe by gourmet_girl
Awesome creamed spinach recipe, better than Boston market.
Top Review by JessHinkson
LOVE this recipe. I added a touch more onion and garlic, and a little less Parmesan and I agree...it's better than BM. I also started with the butter, onion, and garlic in the same saucepan, added sauce ingredients, added spinach, and built the entire recipe in there...anything to avoid washing another pan!
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, low-fat okay
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 20 ounces pkgs. frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- -In a 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter 3 Tbls. butter; stir in flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; slowly whisk in cream; stir in cream cheese.
- -Increase heat to medium; whisk mixture constantly until thick and smooth; remove from heat and set aside.
- -In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook onions and garlic in remaining 2 Tbls. butter until transparent; stir spinach and water into pan.
- -Reduce heat to medium-low; cover; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes.
- -Stir spinach mixture into creamy mixture; return to medium heat; heat, stirring often, until warmed throughout.
- -Remove from heat; fold in Parmesan.