Recipe by Trisha W
This is a great recipe at any time, but esp. can help use up hard boiled eggs after Easter. I used to request my mom to make this recipe anytime I came home from college and even when I was older and went home to visit for awhile. Now my son starts begging for it whenever we get close to Easter, or any other time he thinks he can get me to hardboil some eggs. The passive cooking time is to hardboil the eggs - that can be done the night before.
Top Review by Natasha B.
This recipe is one that dates back to my grandmother... no need for anything special added. I make this at least once a week. My husband STILL won't try this just based on the way it looks, so sad. Don't be turned off by the thought of "creamy eggs" - it's well cooked and extremely flavorful if you cook long enough to get flour taste out and add salt to your preference. A good quality bread for your toast tops it off.
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 eggs, hardboiled
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 6 -8 slices toast
Directions See How It's Made
- To hardboil eggs, simmer on low (barely boiling) for about 20 min.
- ,or bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat and let sit for about 20 min.
- Cool (run cold water over cooked eggs), peel, then chop the eggs.
- Melt the butter.
- Stir in the flour and 1/4t salt.
- Stir in milk a little at a time and continue to cook until the sauce is thick.
- Pour over chopped up eggs which you salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the mixture with paprika.
- Spoon over slice of toast.