Creamed Spinach Deviled Eggs
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
12 deviled eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, cooled and sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat with the oil. Once hot, add the shallot and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened and just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the chopped spinach, a handful at a time, stirring until wilted through. Continue adding and stirring until all the spinach has been used. Cook until wilted and bright green, about 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the mixture a large mixing bowl and while it is still hot, add the cream cheese, stirring to allow the cream cheese to soften and melt. Let cool 5 minutes, and then add the mayonnaise, salt, and black pepper.
- Cut the egg in half, lengthwise, and remove the yolks into the bowl with the spinach mixture. Using a fork, mash the yolks into the spinach mixture, making it as smooth as possible. Transfer to a piping bag, or a large plastic food storage bag with the end snipped off, and pipe out the filling into the center of each egg. Top with feta and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Jonathan Melendez is a passionate author, food photographer, cook, baker, and recipe developer whose blog, The Candid Appetite, has appeared prominently on such sites as, BonAppetite, People, Cosmopolitan, The Kitchn, Today, The Cooking Channel, Food52 and Joy the Baker. He has created and photographed recipes for Idaho Potato Commission, Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, American Butter Institute and Jones Dairy Farm, to name a few. He lives in Los Angeles, CA.