Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This recipe came from Epicurious, however, I have modified it to our liking. If you are in a hurry you can use canned chicken broth and I've even used pre-sliced baby Bellas (Criminis)but, the Portabellas do give it a great flavor. I've even used just plain white button mushrooms when portabellas weren't available. You can use any seasoning mix of your choice to roast the mushrooms - I use Tony Chachere seasoning mix. This is a wonderful creamy and hearty soup that will impress your family as well as your dinner guests.
- 2 lbs portabella mushrooms, stemmed, dark gills removed and diced into 3/4 inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Tony Chachere's Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spread mushrooms on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle mushrooms with Tony Chacherie Seasoning or seasonings of your choice.
- Cover pan with a sheet of aluminum foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 20 minutes.
- Coarsely chop mushrooms and set aside.
- In 5 quart dutch oven melt butter.
- Add chopped onions and minced garlic and saute about 15 minutes over medium heat until soft.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture and saute 2-3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add wine, chicken broth and heavy cream and mix well.
- Add all remaining ingredients including reserved mushrooms and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes until thickened.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.