It's cold here today and I wanted soup. I looked through some recipes and came across one that sounded interesting but I modified it heavily based on what I had. The result was delicious and very very filling. This is meatless though not vegetarian because of the worcestershire sauce (that has anchovies in it).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4.92-9.85 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 4 large carrots
- 5-7 potatoes
- 4 (1587.57 g) can fat-free chicken broth or 4 (1587.57 g) can vegetable broth
- 439.41 g can hominy
- 4.92 ml herbes de provence
- 1 bay leaf
- 0.25 ml hot sauce
- 2.46 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml fat-free half-and-half
- 236.59 ml nonfat milk
- 473.18 ml low-fat cheddar cheese (I use 2% cheese)
- 1Peel and grate the carrots and potatoes (putting the potatoes into water so they don't turn colors).
- 2Chop the onions. (I like a large dice on onions though I tried to make this one a bit smaller. If you are so inclined, chop them fine.).
- 3Heat approximately 1 teaspoons olive oil in a large stock pot. (I spray the bottom of the pan a few times with a mister filled with olive oil.) Add the onions and stir. (At this point I spray a little more olive oil on top of the onions.).
- 4Once the onions are soft, add the broth, the carrots, the potatoes (wring them out if they have been sitting in water), and the hominy. Stir well.
- 5Then add the herbes, the bay leaf, the hot sauce, the worcestershire sauce, the sugar, and salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- 6Let it cook on medium until the vegetables are tender (approximately 20 minutes but I had mine grated thick. If yours are grated thin it could be less.).
- 7Add the half and half, the skim milk, and the cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- 8Remove the bay leaf and serve with crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Potato and Carrot Cheddar Soup (Lower Fat)
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.8
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 7.3 mg
- Sodium 1171.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence