Prep 7 mins
Cook 3 mins
I was out of Cream of Chicken soup in my pantry and I needed it for dinner. I altered a recipe I found here on Zaar and whipped this up. It may not be exact, but it works and I can't tell the difference at all. I use it instead of a 10 3/4 ounce can. I will use this any time my shelf is bare!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes (Or 3 tbs fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Over medium heat combine butter, onion, garlic, milk, heavy cream, and chicken broth in medium sauce pan until combined.
- Add flour, salt and pepper and stir until it thickens. (About 3 minutes).
- Just add more flour if you want it thicker.
- Use in any recipe you need it for.
This came at the best possible time! I was out of the canned stuff and didn't have a car to go out and buy the stuff since my boyfriend had the car for work. This worked out quite nicely. I will say that I was all out of onion, so I had to substitute onion powder, but it was still great! I will definitely try this again!
No need to buy canned cream soups anymore! This substitute recipe is quick to make, works out wonderfully in the hashed brown and cheese casserole that we love. It's definitely just as good or better than canned soup, and is certainly healthier.
I can not believe this. I didn't have heavy cream so used half & half. It's almost as fast as opening a can! (Especially with the can opener I deal with.) Fantastic sub. Thank you!