Gluten Free - Cream of Chicken Soup Replacement for Casseroles
- Ready In:
1 can equivelent
- 1 cup milk (whichever kind you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour or 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter, margarine or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules (gluten free) or 1 bouillon cube (gluten free)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Whisk together the flour or cornstarch with the milk or milk substitute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and heat to a boil while whisking til fully dissolved and combined. Reduce heat and simmer a few minutes or until it thickens.
- Use this soup in recipes in place of one can of creamed soup.
- You could also add celery or mushrooms to make into other cream of soup flavors.
This was much better than I had expected! I was afraid it might be runny and make the casserole runny but it was very thick. My daughter and son-in-law actually thought the baked chicken salad casserole tasted better with this than it usually does with the soup! And the grandkids didn't know anything was different about it. :)
My daughter (gluten sensitive) loved this sauce tonight. I added to this recipe: 10 oz low fat milk, 2 oz of fat free cream cheese, 1 Tbs of sodium free chicken bouillon, 1 tsp Mrs Dash Garlic & Herb, & 1/2 tsp celery seed, in a sauce pan, heating until melted and thickened, and poured it over browned chicken pieces. Made a nice Gluten Free, Low Sodium Chicken & Rice dish. I made this with the gluten free flour and thought it was a little too flour-y tasting. Next time I'll try it with 1/2 flour and 1/2 corn starch.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Struggling to find foods that fit into the gluten free, low carb and delicious catagories! <img title=Laughing src=/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif border=0 alt=Laughing /></p>