Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Souped up soup!
- 2041.16 g russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 8)
- 828.06 ml chicken broth
- 6 slice bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 12 mushrooms, coarse chopped
- 473.18 ml milk
- 226.79 g cream cheese, cut into bits and softened (chilled cream cheese will be grainy)
- salt and pepper
- sliced green onion top (to garnish)
- In large pot combine potatoes with broth and simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove potatoes from heat and mash with potato masher.
- In frying pan, cook bacon until crisp and drain on paper towel and crumble; set aside. To bacon fat, add onion and mushrooms; saute until tender.
- Add the bacon/onion mixture to potatoes. Stir in milk, cream cheese, salt and pepper until cream cheese is melted. DO NOT BOIL.
- Garnish with green onions.
Yummy! We really enjoyed this soup. I had ham broth I saved from a baked ham I made so I used that instead of the chicken broth. It turned out great! I wish I had made a double batch, it's so good. Thanks, GailAnn!
Very good, very thick soup! I think celery would have been a great addition to this soup. I liked it even better the next day when I added some water and topped it with nonfat sour cream and more bacon bits. I agree with the original portion sizes you had on the recipe (serves 4-6). Thank you!
Very Good!!!!! Was easy to make and very hearty. There wasn`t any leftovers on this one. My family is not real big into soups. They said this one was a keeper.