Comforting Cream Cheese Potato Soup With Bacon or Ham
photo by *Parsley*
- Ready In:
- 6 cups organic chicken broth
- 6 cups peeled and cubed potatoes (russets)
- 1⁄3 cup white onion, finely chopped
- salt (optional, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 cup crumbled cooked bacon or 1 cup diced ham
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into chunks
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, bring the broth to a boil over high heat.
- Add diced potatoes and onions and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Using a potato masher, coarsely mash the potatoes in the pot (do not drain).
- Add seasonings, parsley, crumbled cooked bacon or diced ham, and the chunks of cream cheese.
- Cook and stir for a few minutes, until cheese is melted. Stir well to combine.
- Serve soup hot with a side salad and a crusty baguette.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Married to my sweetheart for almost forty years and we have two wonderful children who are grown and have flown the coop. Also, we have been blessed with a wonderful son-in-law and beautiful daughter-in-law, plus FIVE grandchildren: two beautiful granddaughters ages five and eight, and three sweet adorable little grandsons ages 2 months, 2 years and 3 years. My husband and I share a combination of English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Dutch, Swiss, Polish, Austrian, German and French heritage, and our son-in-law and daughter-in-law are both Hispanic. We've traveled extensively to many countries abroad (we lived in Germany), and have traveled and lived in several states here in the U.S.A. Many of the recipes I post here are influenced by our combined heritage or from our travels, or they are old family favorites that I want to share with you. I hope you enjoy! Have been to culinary school with many years of cooking (mostly for my family) under my belt, so know my way around a kitchen. And I'm very lucky to have the best sous chef in the world, dddddh! One of my favorite chefs of all time is Jacques Pepin! I have several of his cookbooks, and enjoy watching his television cooking show Fast Food My Way. Another top favorite is Julia Child (of course!). A few other chefs I read/enjoy watching on t.v. are: Giada At Home, Ina Garten's The Barefoot Contessa, Nigella Lawson's Nigella Bites, and Patti's Mexican Kitchen, and many more. On my bucket list is dining at Thomas Keller's establishment The French Laundry in Napa Valley, California... as well as Alice Waters' Chez Panisse in Berkeley, and the James Beard award winning Tartine Bakery and Cafe in San Francisco. One day!! Hobbies/Interests: Decorating with fresh flowers and herbs from the garden is my passion, and brings me deep joy! It's really hard to beat!! I love connecting with others who enjoy the same. Gardening, decorating, sewing, music, dancing, film, and reading are also up there. Spending quality time with my grandchildren, family, and friends (and cooking holiday meals!). Currently, a newfound passion has been so richly rewarding for me: genealogical research. I heart ancestry dot com. And last but certainly not least, I absolutely LOVE cats--we have two half-Siamese fur babies (cats) that allow us to live here!! A Note of Thanks~ I try to personally thank everyone who kindly makes and reviews my recipes, but sometimes I am busy, late, or may forget. Please know that I am always humbled that you would try one of my recipes, and I enjoy reading the reviews and seeing all the pretty photographs. Thanks so much! </p>