Recipe by seesko
Some friends and I were swapping hot dog recipes tonight. Some one brought this one to share and oh my was I shocked. At first I was like cream cheese on hot dogs? As they say, "don't knock it til you have tried it!"
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 hot dogs or 4 your favorite sausages
- 4 hot dog buns
- brown mustard
- sauerkraut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat grill or grill pan for medium-high heat.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and cook slowly until the onions have softened and turned deep brown, about 15 minutes. Warm the cream cheese over low heat in a small skillet until very soft.
- Grill hot dogs until well browned. Lightly grill hot dog buns on both sides.
- To assemble cheese dogs, spread warm cream cheese on toasted hot dog bun, add hot dog or sausage, top with onions, mustard and sauerkraut, if desired.