Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a smaller version of my cream cheese coffee cake, but the ingredients are a little different too! These are very impressive little muffins, packed full of flavor.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Grease and flour (or use cooking spray) bottom and sides of 12 muffin tins.
- Combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; reserve 1 cup of mixture setting aside.
- To crumb mixture in bowl add baking powder, soda, salt, sour cream, 1 egg and almond extract blending well.
- Divide among 12 to 14 muffin cups.
- Combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 egg and pour over batter in pan. Sprinkle reserved 1 cup of crumb mixture over all.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
My wife made these and we washed em down with a nice cup of coffee. Great morning muffins that we will be having again. They were moist and sweet enough for us!
I made these twice. The first time I followed the recipe and they were great. The second time I switched the almond extract for vanilla and added chocolate chips to the batter (the first part ... that you pour the cream cheese mixture over) -- and they were awesome!
I brought these to work too. Rave reviews! I too added lemon zest to the cream cheese. On of the drs. at work said they tasted like Christmas cookies! Everyone really loved them. Thanks for this great recipe!