Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe my mother-in-law and I used to make for Christmas. It was her recipe and hopefully I have deciphered everything correctly from her recipe card. The dough has to refrigerate overnight (not included in preparation time). This recipes may seem complicated but it is really not that difficult. It makes a lovely dessert or breakfast for special occasions or holidays. The braids can be frozen for a couple months. This recipe makes a lot so you can share with others.
- 236.59 ml butter or 236.59 ml margarine
- 88.74 ml granulated sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 (14.17 g) package dry yeast
- 59.14 ml water, tepid
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 1182.95 ml all-purpose flour
- 4 (907.18 g) package cream cheese
- 147.89 ml granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 59.16 ml vanilla
- 473.18 ml confectioners' sugar
- 59.16 ml milk, more if needed
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- For the dough, dissolve the yeast in the water in a small bowl.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, salt and eggs until well combined.
- Add the yeast mixture to the bowl and mix well.
- Add half of the sour cream and 1/2 of the flour at a time to the mixer.
- Cover dough and refrigerate overnight.
- For the filling, combine all ingredients until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 6 even balls.
- Roll out each ball into about an 8x12 inch rectangle on lightly floured surface.
- Spread one-sixth of the filling among the six dough rectangles, down the center of the roll.
- Roll the rectangles jelly roll style beginning at the long side.
- Pinch edges together and fold ends under slightly.
- Place the rolls seam side down on greased baking sheets.
- I can fit two rolls on each cookie sheet.
- Slit each roll at 2-inch intervals to resemble braid.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour in a warm area.
- The dough should double.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare glaze by combing all ingredients.
- While warm, spread the braids with the glaze.
These are absolutely wonderful! Very easy to make too, which makes them even more special. I'm sure I'll be making these again and again. I used them as Valentine's Day gifts for my friends and they all absolutely raved about them. Thanks for posting Lainey! Made for the I Recommend Tag Game - prize for December 2008's most completed tags.