Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cranberry Trifle is a show-stopping, yummy dessert that's perfect for the holidays! And, so easy. Recipe is adapted from Dec. 2008 edition of Everyday Food. Note: Use a 3 quart trifle/serving dish.
- 24 ounces cranberries (two bags, fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 24 ounces poundcake, cut into 3/4-inch thick slices (two loaves all-butter pound cake)
- additional grated fresh orange zest, to garnish (optional)
- Make compote:.
- In a medium saucepan cook the cranberries, 2 cups of sugar, 2 cups of water, ginger, and orange zest for about 5-8 minutes over medium-high heat, until some of the berries just begin to burst. Let compote cool completely.
- Make Cream Filling:.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and vanilla on high until well combined. With mixer on medium, gradually add heavy cream; continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Arrange 1/3 of cake in a 3 quart trifle dish. Spoon 1/3 of compote over cake; spread to sides of dish. Dollop 1/3 of cream filling over compote; spread to sides of dish. Repeat twice more, ending with cream filling. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours (or up to 1 day). Garnish with freshly grated orange zest (or candied orange zest), if desired.