Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I dont get to make this often as my family hates cranberries-great in cornish game hens and chicken, or as a side with baked ham or as a stuffing for accorn squash.
- 2 teaspoons water (Cranberry, apple or orange juice) or 2 teaspoons juice (Cranberry, apple or orange juice)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped and stewed in the water or juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 cups stale breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine cranberries and sugar.
- Cook celery, onion and parsley in butter until just tender.
- Toss together remaining ingredients and add a bit of water if needed.
I LOVED THIS RECIPE! I did not actually stuff anything with this, but served it as a side with mashed sweet potatoes and evelyn/athens' Briami (roasted Greek vegetables). It was a huge hit. I doubled it, and also added a bit of veggie stock and baked it after it was assembled to give some of the stale bread crumbs a chance to plump up. Really terrific flavor, especially the cranberries, walnuts and marjoram. We loved this!!
I was so excited to try this recipe, but it ended up being the one thing on the table that didn't go over so well (with a broad range of tastes represented). I thought maybe I'd made it wrong (still possible! :o) and tried it again with french bread cubes instead of bread crumbs; it was a bit better but still not quite 4-stars. I think I may yet try it one more time; it still sounds so good that I am very open (and hoping) to updating the review! :o)
I loved this! Was a big hit in my household. I used dried cranberries because thats all I had here and I left out the walnuts cause i have a toddler who has not been introduced to nuts yet. Was really tastey! Will definitely be making this one again.