Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
I love cranberry and orange together, but have never seen it in a cookie recipe. I had to post this for safe keeping! (The prep time includes 30 minute chilling time)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1 cup & 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup smooth unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in walnuts and dried cranberries.
- Whisk 1 cup sugar, applesauce, oil, orange zest and juice in a medium bowl until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until well blended. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Put the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar into a small flat-bottomed dish or pan. Roll the dough with floured hands (it will be very moist) into 1 1/2-inch balls, then roll in sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies until barely golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on the pan for 1 minute; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Although I did follow your recipe & didn't include any ingredients not listed, I did use an extra 1/4 cup of the dried cranberries & also was a bit more generous when it came to the orange zest, but other than that . . . Really, really enjoyed the use of whole wheat pastry flour in these & thought it paired very nicely with the fruit flavors! Many thanks for this great keeper recipe! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar recipe tag]