I modified an existing recipe for my brother-in-law, who is allergic to eggs, and it quickly became a family favorite. This cake turns out moist with a hint of orange flavor and a burst of tart cranberry. This is one of my brother-in-law's favorites. How do I know, you ask? Well, I'd say his taking second helpings and stashing the remainder of the cake to take home are very good indicators. :)
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 177.44 ml butter, softened
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 14.79 ml water
- 473.18 ml flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml milk
- 14.79 ml orange juice
- 9.85 ml orange zest
- 354.88 ml cranberries, whole (fresh or frozen)
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar
- 44.37 ml orange juice (or as much as required for desired texture)
- 59.14 ml almonds, slivered (optional)
- 236.59 ml cranberries, whole (fresh or thawed) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 10-cup bundt pan by spraying with cooking oil and lightly dusting with flour.
- Cream sugar and butter. Wisk together cornstarch and water and cream into sugar/butter mixture. Stir in milk, orange juice and orange zest.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly add into wet mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined.
- Fold cranberries into the batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into bundt pan, being careful not to brush off too much of the flour dusting.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes and turn out onto a cake pedistal or plate.
- Place powdered sugar in a small bowl.
- Stir in orange juice one tablespoon at a time until preferred glaze texture is obtained.
- Spoon evenly over warm cake.
- I sprinkled slivered almonds evenly over the freshly-glazed cake.
- I also placed cranberries into the center of the cake and around the base of the cake plate mostly for festive presentation, but found that my family enjoys eating the uncooked cranberries dipped in extra glaze or with bites of cake.
This cake is awesome! Living in Denver, it is hard to find any cake that works, let alone a cake without eggs! I adjusted this cake for high altitude (-1Tbs sugar, 2Tbs flour, -1/2tsp baking powder and 1/2tsp baking soda, 2Tbs liquid, baked at 365'F for 40min) and it came out perfect. You would not even know that it didn't have any eggs. I will definitely be making this cake again!
I have a daughter who is allergic to eggs, so I am always looking for good egg free recipes and this one is fantastic. You would never know there is no eggs in it. Thanks I will be making this one again.