Recipe by A Messy Cook
These unique bars are low on sugar and high on “yum,” not to mention the great contrast in flavors and textures. With quick oats, whole wheat flour, applesauce, and fruit, you could even call them a healthy dessert! Recipe is from Light and Tasty’s April/May 2005 issue. I had totally forgotten about this recipe, and I really want to try it…so here it goes on Zaar, kept safely and neatly until I have a chance to make these bars!
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries or 3⁄4 cup dried cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine first seven ingredients.
- Whisk next six ingredients together, and stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Stir in dried cranberries.
- Spread into 9-inch square baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray; bake at 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes or until set, and cool on wire rack.