Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delightfully sweet and savory salad; the cool of the dressing harmonizes beautifully with the warmth of the sauté.
For the Salad
- 1 (9 ounce) package salad greens
- 3⁄4 cup cranberries, halved
- 1 cup pecans
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 cup vegan margarine (Earth Balance is my favorite brand)
- 3⁄4 onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Dressing
- 1⁄3 cup vegan mayonnaise (available at co-ops and health food stores, my favorite brand is Nayonaise)
- 1⁄8 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced very fine
- 1⁄16 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- For the Salad:.
- In a large wok or skillet, sauté onions and oil on medium low heat until onions become translucent.
- Add cranberries, sauté for 2 minutes
- Add pecans, vegan margarine and sugar, and sauté until sugar becomes bubbly and gooey, stirring frequently.
- Toss contents of pan into salad greens along with Thyme Mayo Dressing (see below).
- For the Dressing:.
- Put all ingredients in a large jar. Close cap tightly and shake vigorously for 3-5 sec.
- Toss in only enough to lightly coat salad; refrigerate the remainder for up to 2 weeks.