Lise in Indiana's Note:
A cornbread crust is topped with spicy sausage and eggs for a quick breakfast casserole served with salsa and sour cream. A favorite at our early-morning Rotary breakfasts, especially the guys!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1Heat oven to 400ºF.
- 2Spray a 13"X9" pan with non-stick spray (Pam).
- 3In a medium bowl, whisk together all the DRY ingredients for the crust.
- 4In a 1-cup glass measure, combine the WET ingredients for the crust.
- 5Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, all at once, and stir just until smooth.
- 6Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake 10-13 minutes. until lightly golden-brown.
- 7Meanwhile, in a 10" skillet, cook the sausage, peppers and onions over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetable are tender.
- 8Drain sausage mixture and place in a bowl; cover with a plate to keep it warm.
- 9In a medium bowl, combine eggs with seasonings and milk, mixing well.
- 10Wipe out the 10" skillet with a paper towel, return it to the heat and melt the butter in it.
- 11Pour in the egg mixture. As the eggs begin to cook, lift the cooked portions to allow uncooked egg to flow to the bottom of the skillet - avoid constant stirring.
- 12Cook 2 or 3 minutes, until eggs are thickened throughout, but still very moist.
- 13Arrange cooked eggs on top of hot crust and top with the sausage mixture.
- 14Sprinkle the top evenly with the cheese.
- 15Return pan to the 400º oven for 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and just starting to brown.
- 16Cool slightly and serve with salsa and sour cream.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cowboy Breakfast Bake
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.2
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 300.1 mg
- Sodium 790.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 28.4 g