Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
A cornbread crust is topped with spicy sausage and eggs for a quick breakfast casserole served with salsa and sour cream. A favorite at our early-morning Rotary breakfasts, especially the guys!
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 1⁄4 cup diced red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced yellow onion
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Spray a 13"X9" pan with non-stick spray (Pam).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the DRY ingredients for the crust.
- In a 1-cup glass measure, combine the WET ingredients for the crust.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, all at once, and stir just until smooth.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake 10-13 minutes. until lightly golden-brown.
- Meanwhile, in a 10" skillet, cook the sausage, peppers and onions over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetable are tender.
- Drain sausage mixture and place in a bowl; cover with a plate to keep it warm.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs with seasonings and milk, mixing well.
- Wipe out the 10" skillet with a paper towel, return it to the heat and melt the butter in it.
- Pour in the egg mixture. As the eggs begin to cook, lift the cooked portions to allow uncooked egg to flow to the bottom of the skillet - avoid constant stirring.
- Cook 2 or 3 minutes, until eggs are thickened throughout, but still very moist.
- Arrange cooked eggs on top of hot crust and top with the sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with the cheese.
- Return pan to the 400º oven for 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and just starting to brown.
- Cool slightly and serve with salsa and sour cream.
Excellent breakfast. I only made half a recipe and we still have enough left over a couple mornings for me. Served with fresh fruit and it was great.
I was really craving something like this..left out the peppers for personal choice,altogether it took about an hour to make with prep time..used 16 oz roll sausage..it was great and the cornbread crust was nice and soft..(it looked like there was not enough batter in the bottom of the pan,)but it baked perfectly with a good base for the rest of the ingred..Yummy!!