- 1 (3 lb) country ham, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fat, from the ham
- 1⁄2 cup coffee
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 beef bouillon cube (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the fat from the ham and render.
- When the fat is rendered, add the ham steaks and pan-fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the ham from the pan and set aside on a plate and keep warm.
- To the pan, add the coffee and water and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the butter and the bouillon cube and stir to incorporate.
- Serve the gravy over the ham steaks on grits.