Red Eye (Red Beer)
- Ready In:
- 2 ounces tomato juice (you may increase to 4 oz if you like yours a bit thicker as I do)
- 12 ounces beer
- seasoning salt (may sub celery salt)
- twist lime (optional)
- olive (to garnish)
- Pour tomato juice followed by beer in a chilled mug.
- Throw in a pinch of salt and a twist of lime (if using).
- Garnish with olives and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Ordered a Corona at a little hole in the wall Mexican food joint in Seattle not too long ago and this is how they served it. I wasn't expecting it, so it was a little weird at first, like when you think you're drinking tea and taste soda, if that makes sense. Once I realized that there was tomato juice in my beer, it was really good, and this is actually how I prefer lighter beers now. Thanks for sharing a great idea!
This is LOTS better with V8 juice, and a squeeze of lime, or made with the new lime flavored beers. A dash of Louisiana Hot Sauce and a sprinkle of salt perks it up, too. (The salt will make the beer foam, so leave room in your glass!). The recipe orginated in Wichita Falls, TX at a "hole in the wall" barbeque joint, The Bar-L Drive-In, back in the 30's or 40's, and draw beer (beer on tap) is the beer of choice.The Bar-L is still there, and open for business (and makes the best ribs in the State of Texas!).