Biscuit recipe posted separately. The ingredients(for the steak & gravy) lists 4 cups of hot water, but I've read the entire thing several times and can find no use for the hot water. Sent enquiry to Foodnetwork for an answer. Recipe courtesy Paula Deen See this recipe on air Monday May. 01 at 4:00 PM ET/PT. Episode#: PA0709
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 (4 ounce) tenderized beef round steak (cube steaks)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon house seasoning (see below)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
- HOUSE SEASONING:.
- Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle 1 side of the meat with the House Seasoning and the other side with the seasoning salt, and then dredge the meat in buttermilk and then flour.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 or 4 of the steaks to the hot oil and fry until browned, about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Remove each steak to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Repeat with the remaining steaks, adding up to 1/4 cup more oil, as needed.
- Drain all but 4 TBS drippings, and scrapings.
- Add 4 tablespoons flour to the pan drippings, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the pepper and the salt.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the flour is medium brown and the mixture is bubbly.
- Slowly add the whole milk, stirring constantly with whisk.
- Return the steaks to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, and place the onions on top of the steaks.
- Cover the pan, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- See Paula Deen's biscuits to serve with this.