Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made this apple pie for our church's homecoming and it was a sure hit! Really like an apple pie and an apple crisp in one dessert!
- 1 9 inch pie shell
- 7 apples, sliced (Granny Smith or other)
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml flour
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml allspice or 2.46 ml nutmeg or 2.46 ml clove
- 0.59 ml salt
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 78.07 ml flour
- 236.59 ml quick-cooking rolled oats
- 118.29 ml butter
- Place crust in 9-inch pie plate.
- Toss apple slices with white sugar, chopped walnuts, 3 tablespoons flour, spices, and salt.
- Transfer mixture to pie.
- Melt butter and mix in oatmeal, 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over apple filling in pie.
- Cover pie edges with foil to prevent burning for first 25 minutes of baking.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Remove foil from pie edges after 25 minutes of baking.
- Cool and serve (solo or with ice cream).
This is soooo delish! I couldn't fit 7 sliced apple in one pie, so had to adjust the recipe for that but otherwise OMG I love apple crisp but have a texture problem with apple pie (if it's slimy) and this is the perfect combo. Love it! I'm making it for my family thanksgiving tomorrow. Thanks for a great recipe!!
Yummy and easy! Recipe is more then enough for two pies.
This recipe turned out really nicely. I edited it to make it gluten-free by substituting GF all-purpose four mix for the flour, quinoa flakes for the oats, and GF pie shells from Whole Foods. I also tossed the apple slices (Jonathan apples) in a bit (~ 1/2 tsp) of lemon juice. Like a couple of others I chose nutmeg of the 3 spice alternatives. Since others had said that the filling was enough for two pies, I made two pies (one to eat, one to freeze for later) but it wasn't QUITE enough, so I sliced two pears and added them to the apples. This was a wonderful treat, not too sweet though because of the walnuts. I may try adding just a touch of vanilla to the apples next time. I actually really liked the apple/pear mixture and will continue to add those in.