Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Hearty, stick-to-your-ribs pie.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup bouillon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 5 medium potatoes (boiled and mashed)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown the beef in oil.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain most of the accumulated fat from the pan.
- Sauté onions until tender, and then add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and stir in herbs and seasonings.
- Return brown meat to skillet and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Transfer all ingredients to an ovenproof casserole.
- Top with mashed potatoes (scoring them with a fork.) Dot with butter and bake uncovered in 375-degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
I made this for our St. Patricks Day cook a thon. Was very tasty and we all liked the potato topping,I have a similar recipe. Its easy to make. I added a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
I really liked this recipe. I used homemade garlic-sour cream mashed potatoes to top it and put a layer of shredded cheddar cheese underneath the potatoes. Awesome flavor!
My husband doesn't like my Shepherd's Pie (even though I love it) so I was hesistant to feed this to him, but he absolutely loved it. He added ketchup to it, but I thought this was a perfect dish as is. A good basic meal.