1/2 Photos of Cottage Pie
Az B's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and chop up the potatoes into large chunks and put on too boil in a pot. This will take about 20 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, you can start cooking the meat.
- 2Chop up the onion and fry in a pan until almost golden brown. Add the ground beef and break it all up and cook until no longer red in colour.
- 3Turn on the oven and preheat a deep baking dish in there.
- 4Add the vegetable cube and make sure it is broken up and mixed inches
- 5Throw in the peas and mix them into the meat and continue to simmer. At this point, you can add a teaspoon or two of browning or seasoning sauce to the meat, and tip in some of the water from the potatoes. Keep simmering the meat in the pan.
- 6The potatoes should be almost cooked - you can test them by sticking a knife into them. If the knife sinks in easily, they're done. Pour off the water and save some of it in case you need more for the meat / sauce.
- 7Mix up two tablespoons of corn-starch with two tablespoons of cold water in a saucer. When it's all mixed into a white liquid, pour this into the meat and stir in quickly. The water in the dish will thicken, continue to simmer and stir occasionally to make sure the corn-starch is cooked through.
- 8Mash the potatoes with a little milk and butter. Take the baking dish out of the oven, and pour in the meat. It will make a satisfying sizzle. Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the meat until they fill the baking dish to the top. Use a folk to make ridges all along the top of the potatoes.
- 9Put the dish back under the grill and brown the top of the potatoes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cottage Pie
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.6
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 85.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 26.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes