Lazy Cottage Pie
photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained (or peas & carrots or mixed leftover veggies)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 3 -4 cups leftover mashed potatoes (or prepare 6 servings instant)
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- paprika, garnish (optional)
- Brown beef and onion together in a large skillet, drain fat.
- Place meat into a medium greased caserole dish (it doesn't matter what shape- you want to be able to have the meat spread in one layer).
- Spread the beans on top.
- Spread the unprepared soup on top of the beans using a spatula.
- Next spread the mashed potatoes over all, sealing edges.
- Sprinkle with cheese, if desired (I often omit).
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 F or 180 C oven for about 20 minutes, or until bubbling.
- NOTE:If you like, use a fork to make lines in the mashed potatoes (or, you could also pipe the mashed potatoes on top using a decorating bag with a wide star tip if you aren't feeling quite so lazy).
The cupboards were a bit bare today but fortunately I did have almost everything on hand to make this cottage pie. I added a few dashes of seasoned salt to the hamburger mixture as it cooked, switched the veggies to frozen mixed corn, beans, carrots and I used leftover mashed potatoes. I had to omit the cheese since I didn't have any but definitely would add it next time just to add more depth to the flavours (plus I am cheese crazy!) I brushed the potatoes with a wee bit of butter and sprinkled with celery salt and paprika. All in all, a pretty good little recipe that is budget friendly and the ingredients are usually on hand. Thx Heather.
see 26 more reviews