Recipe by Lalaloula
The inspiration for this lovely and kinda healthy banana bread comes from the blog http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/2011/01/13/banana-almond-snack-cake-recipe/. I like the use of cornmeal as it gives the bread a heartier texture. This is more of a bread than a cake, so keep that in mind if youre looking for a cake more than a bread. Please note: I like my banana breads without added sugar, but feel free to add 1/4 c or so if you like your breads sweeter.
Top Review by ellie_
This is good - but more like bread than the usual banana bread. I was able to get three mini/individual loaves out of this recipe. I made a few changes (making it probably a bit less healthier) - by using regular flour instead of the whole wheat and oat flour. I also used cinnamon instead of pumpkin pie spice and used 2 bananas (did not measure) and mashed them instead of melting them. I also used almond butter (but wanted to use the rest of the jar so didn't measure) and almond milk. I forgot the almond extract and the sugar. A very good recipe for the individual loaves I like making for my family. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I used whole spelt flour)
- 1⁄2 cup coarse ground cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup oat flour
- 1⁄4 cup oats, large flake
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup banana, peeled and melted in the microwave (about 4 minutes at full power in my microwave)
- 1⁄4 cup almond butter (I made my own from roasted almonds)
- 1 large egg, whisked at room temperature
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup other non-dairy milk substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- First melt your bananas in the microwave if you have not already done so. Set aside to cool to room temperature (this is important because otherwise your egg might curdle later on).
- Then combine flour, cornmeal, oat flour, oats, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large bowl.
- In a second bowl combine bananas, almond butter, egg, milk and almond extract and mix well.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients and mix until just combined. The dough should be rather thick, but not dry. If needed add a splash more milk or two.
- Pour batter into a prepared loaf pan and bake in the pre-heated oven at 180 C/350 F for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely and enjoy!