The inspiration for this lovely and kinda healthy banana bread comes from the blog http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/2011/01/13/banana-almond-snack-cake-recipe/. I like the use of cornmeal as it gives the bread a heartier texture. This is more of a bread than a cake, so keep that in mind if youre looking for a cake more than a bread. Please note: I like my banana breads without added sugar, but feel free to add 1/4 c or so if you like your breads sweeter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I used whole spelt flour)
- 1/2 cup coarse ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup oats, large flake
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup banana, peeled and melted in the microwave (about 4 minutes at full power in my microwave)
- 1/4 cup almond butter (I made my own from roasted almonds)
- 1 large egg, whisked at room temperature
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup other non-dairy milk substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sugar (optional)
- 1First melt your bananas in the microwave if you have not already done so. Set aside to cool to room temperature (this is important because otherwise your egg might curdle later on).
- 2Then combine flour, cornmeal, oat flour, oats, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large bowl.
- 3In a second bowl combine bananas, almond butter, egg, milk and almond extract and mix well.
- 4Combine dry and wet ingredients and mix until just combined. The dough should be rather thick, but not dry. If needed add a splash more milk or two.
- 5Pour batter into a prepared loaf pan and bake in the pre-heated oven at 180 C/350 F for 35-40 minutes.
- 6Remove to a wire rack to cool completely and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornmeal Banana Bread (Healthier)
Serving Size: 1 (851 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1730.3
- Calories from Fat 500
- Total Fat 55.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 1431.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 267.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 39.6 g
- Sugars 33.7 g
- Protein 64.5 g