Recipe by Chief Jack
These are a hit at the fire station... They are a little on the heavy side, but they have an excellent flavor and lots of fiber. Adding more baking powder may lighten them up if that’s what you want, but I think they’re great as is.
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats, ground to a course flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 grated and chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon molasses
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind about a cup of rolled oats to get the 3/4 cup of course flour.
- Combine all the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Mix the wets together and add to the dry.
- Mix ‘till blended, but don’t overwork it.
- If it’s a little thick, you can thin it with a little water.
- Spoon the batter onto your griddle and cook to the dark side of golden.
- I haven’t tried it yet, but thinned down a little, this batter should make a pretty substantial pancake too!