Oat Bran Waffles
This is an attempt at eating healthier, while still preserving good taste! These waffles cook up nice and fluffy, while the oat bran and whole wheat flour make them healthier. Serve with your favorite fruit or syrup.
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 egg whites
- Combine the oat bran, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour baking powder and salt.
- Combine the milk, oil, and egg yolk; add to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; gently fold into the batter.
- Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray, and allow waffle iron to preheat. Spoon 1 1/3 cups batter onto hot waffle iron, spreading batter to edges. Bake until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
We loved these healthy, good-for-you waffles! Breakfast can sometimes be the unhealthiest meal of the day, so anytime I can make it a little bit healthier, I'm all for it. These waffles fill that bill! With oat bran, whole wheat flour, eggs, skim milk and no sugar, I didn't feel guilty eating them. I made them as written, adding 1/2 tsp. cinnamon to the dry ingredients. Also, after folding in the egg whites, I let the batter sit for about 10-15 mins. to thicken up a bit. They cooked up fluffy and delicious. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper! **Made for 2013 Football Pool**Reply
These waffles were fantastic. The beaten egg whites gave it a fluffiness despite having the oat bran and whole wheat. For those worried about consistency, let it sit for a minute and it thickens up as the oat bran absorbs some liquid. Very tasty and even the toddler loved them! Thanks for posting. made for Zaar chef alphabet soup tag game.Reply
see 10 more