4 hrs 10 mins
The traditional Irish dish - just in time for St. Paddy's Day! This requires 48-60 hours curing time in your fridge, but you get great-tasting corned beef in the end.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim all but ¼ inch of fat from meat.
- 2Wash and pat dry.
- 3Rub with ¼ cup salt.
- 4In large saucepan, heat water, salt and sugar and stir to dissolve.
- 5Place beef in large glass bowl and pour salted water over.
- 6Add 2 bay leaves, 8 peppercorns, 2 tsps pickling spice and 2 garlic cloves.
- 7Place weighted plate over so meat is completely immersed.
- 8Refrigerate 48-60 hours.
- 9Remove meat and rinse thoroughly.
- 10Place in large saucepan and cover with boiling water.
- 11Add remaining bay leaves, peppercorns, pickling spice and garlic.
- 12Cover and simmer for 4 hours, or until meat is tender.
- 13Serve hot with boiled potatoes and cabbage or cool the brisket and slice thinly to serve with rye bread and mustard.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corned Beef (Corn Your Own)
Serving Size: 1 (825 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 846.7
- Calories from Fat 609
- Total Fat 67.7 g
- Saturated Fat 27.2 g
- Cholesterol 186.2 mg
- Sodium 32003.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 43.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: