Recipe by evelyn/athens
The traditional Irish dish - just in time for St. Paddy's Day! This requires 48-60 hours curing time in your fridge, but you get great-tasting corned beef in the end.
Top Review by Gourmand
Love this recipe. Love it so much I posted it on my blog docaitta.blogspot.com so others can love it too. It is clearly credited to you, with a link back to this page. Thanks again. Will definitely make this corned beef again.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs beef brisket
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 16 cups water
- 2 cups salt (the sea salt is better) or 3 cups sea salt (the sea salt is better)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 16 peppercorns
- 4 teaspoons pickling spices
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim all but ¼ inch of fat from meat.
- Wash and pat dry.
- Rub with ¼ cup salt.
- In large saucepan, heat water, salt and sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Place beef in large glass bowl and pour salted water over.
- Add 2 bay leaves, 8 peppercorns, 2 tsps pickling spice and 2 garlic cloves.
- Place weighted plate over so meat is completely immersed.
- Refrigerate 48-60 hours.
- Remove meat and rinse thoroughly.
- Place in large saucepan and cover with boiling water.
- Add remaining bay leaves, peppercorns, pickling spice and garlic.
- Cover and simmer for 4 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Serve hot with boiled potatoes and cabbage or cool the brisket and slice thinly to serve with rye bread and mustard.