1/1 Photo of Cornbread Stuffing W/Shrimp & Andouille (Cajun/Creole ZWT-9)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
(From a Food & Wine Magazine article) -- Star chef Susan Spicer comes from a strong European Christmas tradition. But in New Orleans, her holiday means a magnificent Cajun/Southern feast. She runs BAYONA (1 of the finest restaurants in New Orleans) & has been garnering local & national acclaim since 1986. In 1989, FOOD & WINE declared her 1 of that yr's Best New Chefs. Her training is French & her food global (including So Louisiana Cajun & New Orleans Creole). Her Christmas dinner was featured in Food & Wine Magazine & included a shrimp & andouille stuffing ("my version of something that's fairly common in New Orleans"). Of this recipe, she said "Andouille adds a wonderful smoky flavor to sweet cornbread stuffing". As an added bonus, this stuffing can be "made & refrigerated 1 dy before baking. Just bring it to room temp before baking." Prep time was estimated, begins w/pre-cooked cornbread & 15 min was allowed for ingredient prep. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 ounce) package Jiffy cornbread mix (Pre-cooked & broken into 1-in pieces)
- 1 lb andouille sausage (quartered lengthwise & sliced crosswise 1/2 in thick)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs celery, coarsely chopped
- 8 scallions (white & tender green parts only, coarsely chopped)
- 1 lb large shrimp (shelled, deveined & halved crosswise)
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- 1Prepare cornbread per pkg instructions & cut into pieces as directed.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F --- Generously butter a 10x15-in glass or ceramic baking dish. Put the cornbread pieces into a lrg bowl.
- 3In a lrg, deep skillet, cook the andouille over mod heat until lightly browned & the fat rendered (about 10 min). Add to the cornbread.
- 4Melt the butter in the skillet. Stir in the onions, celery & half of the scallions. Cook over low heat until soft (about 10 min). Add the shrimp, garlic, sage & thyme. Cook (while stirring) until the shrimp are just cooked through (about 3 min). Add the shrimp to the cornbread.
- 5In the same skillet, bring the stock to a boil. Pour the stock over the cornbread & stir well. Add the parsley & remaining scallions. Season the stuffing w/salt, pepper & Tabasco to taste preferences.
- 6Spread the stuffing in the prepared baking dish & bake for 1 hr (or until crisp & browned on top).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornbread Stuffing W/Shrimp & Andouille (Cajun/Creole ZWT-9)
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.2
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 94.9 mg
- Sodium 1238.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 19.5 g