Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Fast, easy and tasty -- perfect with a stew or chili. These also freeze well. I first found this recipe in an older Bonnie Stern cookbook many years ago and have been making these ever since.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray or line with paper muffin cups.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir well.
- Combine beaten egg, milk and melted butter (if using normal butter add less salt).
- Stir into the dry mixture and combine just until blended.
- Chopped jalapenos (from a tin) can also be added, as can chopped red pepper and/or tinned corn kernels.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin pans.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of muffins before baking if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes .
Lennie I made these for my son yesterday afternoon and by this morning they were all gone! Guess I will have to run off and make another batch before he gets home from school. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.
My step-kids ate them! Which is saying a lot since their idea of a great meal is chili cheese dogs at Sonic. I did add about 2T extra sugar.
Served this with chili and it was great. The kids finished them off at breakfast with a protien shake and fruit. A keeper for sure.