Recipe by Lennie
Fast, easy and tasty -- perfect with a stew or chili. These also freeze well. I first found this recipe in an older Bonnie Stern cookbook many years ago and have been making these ever since.
Top Review by kitina
Lennie I made these for my son yesterday afternoon and by this morning they were all gone! Guess I will have to run off and make another batch before he gets home from school. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray or line with paper muffin cups.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir well.
- Combine beaten egg, milk and melted butter (if using normal butter add less salt).
- Stir into the dry mixture and combine just until blended.
- Chopped jalapenos (from a tin) can also be added, as can chopped red pepper and/or tinned corn kernels.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin pans.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of muffins before baking if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes .