Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I had a friend that told someone one time that I would make jelly out of corncobs if it was possible. Imagine her surprise when I told her that I had found a recipe. I made this just to prove that you can make jelly out of corn cobs, but it is so good that I will be making it every year from now on. It taste like a mild honey and people request it often.
- Cut corn kernals from cobs and reserve for another recipe.
- In a large pot, place cobs and water, bring to a boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard cobs; strain liquid through cheesecloth.
- Liquid should measure 3 cups.
- Add additional water if necessary.
- Return to the pot and stir in pectin.
- Bring to a full rolling boil.
- Add sugar and bring back to a boil and boil for one minute.
- Remove from heat and skim foam and add a few drops of food coloring.
- Pour into hot jelly jars.
- Place canning lids that have been preheated in hot water on jars and tighten rings as tight as possible.
- Turn upside down and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Turn upright and allow to cool completely before storing.
This is one of the easiest jellies to make....I am glad I tried it--corn season is upon us! The taste is quite surprising...light, sweet & has a hint of something in the background I can't quite put my finger on--very tasty though. This one is going in my gift baskets...what a nice surprise! Thanks for a Great Recipe!
I boiled a 16 quart stockpot full of bi-color and white cobs for about 20-25 minutes, strained it and got 4 quarts of "corn water" which I took 4 cups of with only two cups of sugar and a box of low sugar pectin.
It turned out amazing! Sweet and so honey-like! I plan on making another (double) batch with the rest of it tomorrow - I got three pint jars and about 1/4 of another one from it. Just great!
This did not set for me. I opened the jars and redid it, using more pectin, but it was still like water. I tasted it, and at that point all I could taste was pectin. I did add a small amount of additional sugar when I reprocessed, but still no luck. I imagine when this turns out it is good, but it didn't do it for me. :(