Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a very simple and easy recipe for corn cheddar chowder. It is very filling and delicious. Great served hot with homemade biscuits. Recipe is from Gooseberry Patch's Holidays at Home cookbook.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules (or 2 cubes) or 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules (or 2 cubes)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (or 8 small potatoes)
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- salt and pepper
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat and add onions. Cook and stir for 8 or 9 minutes until onions are softened.
- Mix together flour, mustard, cayenne pepper, celery seed and thyme and add to the onions; cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Dissolve chicken or vegetable bouillon in 2 1/2 cups water, and add to saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes and cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the corn, half and half, and milk and bring back to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese and celery salt.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with biscuits and enjoy!