Recipe by silky
I put up a lot of corn end of summer. This soup is one of our favorite ways of enjoying it during the fall/winter. Great for a starter for Thanksgiving too.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 leeks or 2 onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 -8 ears corn, kernels cut off
- 2 cups cooked pumpkin
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled,4 t kept separate
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- black pepper
- 1 quart light cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in soup kettle and cook the leeks until soft.
- Add the flour, corn, pumpkin, broth and salt and simmer over low to moderate heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add bacon and mix.
- Pour half the chowder into a blender or food processor and mix until smooth.
- Return mixture to soup kettle, stir, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add allspice, a few grindings of pepper and cream.
- Heat 2-3 minutes more until completely heated, but not boiling, then serve with extra bacon sprinkled over top.