Recipe by AKillian24
As I am moving away from rice - I've found the subtle flavor of cabbage serves as a great alternative, particularly in an Asian dish like stir-fry or teryiaki chicken.
Top Review by Stacky5
This was pretty good! I did have a little trouble, since I don't have a steamer, but I steamed the cabbage in a double boiler and it seemed to work -- although I think I overcooked it just a tad. I used butter and minced ginger, and the taste was very good -- and subtle. I would use this recipe for the cabbage in lo mein and fried rice, and the flavor possibilities are endless! Thanks for posting this easy to follow, low carb recipe. I will be making this again and perhaps adding some cayenne pepper for a little "kick."
- 1 yellow cabbage, shredded
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml butter substitute
- 4.92 ml salt (optional)
- soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil 2 cups water
- Toss shredded cabbage with butter and desired spices.
- Place cabbage in vegetable steamer (metal or bamboo)
- Steam for 8-10 minutes or to desired texture.
- *Tip: Use tongs to sift cabbage and ensure it cooks evenly throughout.
- Serve with stir-fry chicken, fish or tofu. Can also be used under a chicken dish as you would rice.
- Low Carbers Enjoy!